“Life does not get better by chance, it gets better by design” – C. Ruth Taylor
Progress and Happiness
One of the mantra’s of my life has become, “progress not perfection.” I once heard Life Coaching guru, Tony Robbins in a talk say : “progress equals happiness.” While that may not be 100% true, we do tend to experience a sense of happiness and fulfillment when we are progressing towards our life and career goals. If we are at the same place today that we were five years ago, be it financially, emotionally, spiritually, career wise etc., we will feel quite unhappy.
Furthermore, moving from one point to another in the different areas of our lives, will not happen accidentally. It will happen intentionally by design. It will be based on decisive actions and the employment of some kind of plan or strategy to move forward. This is why during the first 24 days of this New Year, I have undertaken a 21-Day Success Habits Challenge, where I am teaching 21 strategies to help you to make 2018 more effective than 2017. Today, marks Day 10 of the challenge, and I will be recapping the 10 keys which have been shared through Facebook Live Broadcasts thus far.
These Facebook Live broadcasts will continue on my author page, C. Ruth Taylor at 6p.m. daily. The keys will all be uploaded to YouTube. Thus far two videos have been uploaded and they are included in this article.
10 Keys to Making 2018 Effective
1. Clarity: This is the starting point. If your windshield is foggy, you cannot drive from one point to another. Clarity is being sure of what is required of you and knowing where you want to go, what you want to be do or have. This is the starting point of success and making 2018 effective. Take a moment to get clear on your targets or destinations in the different areas of your life for 2018.
2. Having a Design: This is having an image of the end product, your final outcome or destination in life. It means to have a vision of the future which you will seek to actualize. Where there is no design, there will be no creation and where vision is lacking, there will be no change and no progress. What’s your design for 2018? Whatever it is, write it down and make a plan to bring it to life.
3. Life Purpose: This is your main reason for travel on planet earth. It is crucial that you figure out why you showed up and what you showed up to do while living on earth or your life will be wasted. As the late leadership expert Dr. Myles Munroe said, “the greatest tragedy in life is not death but a life lived without fulfilling its purpose.” Make sure you know your life purpose in 2018.
4. Take Action: To plan and not act is futile. To learn and not act is futile. Action is what leads to progress. Whatever those goals and plans are, take action and do so consistently to bring your design to life.
5. Success Habits: Aristotle reminds us that we are the sum of our habits. It is therefore crucial to learn and develop the habits which will lead to our success. Successful people have habits and so do failures. Identify the habits of successful people and seek to incorporate these into your life in 2018.
6. Success Models/Templates: There is nothing as potent as an example or template to guide us in creating something new or give us insights to live successfully. If you want to be successful, study successful people and follow their principles of success. Which high achiever will you model in 2018? Who will serve as your inspiration? Get a list and begin listening to their stories.
- Pen it to Win: Successful people think on paper or make it a habit to record their ideas, insights and agreements. This is a key to hold others accountable and to ensure information is not lost. Writing also stimulates our thought processes and aids memory. The point is: move ideas from your head to paper or in some viable recording format. We all know that a year from now we are not likely to remember all the details of an event, so pen it to not forget.
Pen it, to communicate it. Pen it so what’s in your mind’s eye can be brought to light. Pen it to gather resources. Pen it, for greater insights and aid. Pen it, to seize opportunities. Pen it, to lest you give up and forget when there are delays, detours and disappointment, when it seems long in coming. Pen it, so your ideas will live and not die. Pen it to hold yourself and others accountable.
8. Be Money Smart to Win: If ever there is an area that 97% of the world struggles in, it is this one. Being money smart is about learning basic proven principles to earn more, manage our personal finances and create wealth, so we can take care of ourselves well and invest in the lives of others.
9. Fail Forward: Every dream will be tested and we will be sure to make mistakes along the journey. The key is in learning to how to go on after a failure, instead of quitting. It is learning how to turn failure into a profitable experience. In 2018, you will make mistakes but do not let this stop you. Learn the lessons and keep moving towards your goals.
10. Win with Self-Awareness and Self-Worth: Knowing ones identity and capabilities, strengths and weakness and ones worth is absolutely vital to making progress in life. Without these two elements, progress will be impeded greatly. Don’t settle for less in 2018! Believe that you are valuable and have something valuable to give to this world. Do a self-study or self-inventory of your gifts and talents, and use them to make a mark of significance in 2018.
The Design to Win Academy
During the Success Habits Challenge, I am launching the Design to Win Academy. This is a virtual career and life planning institute which offers career coaching, courses and workshops to transform your life and career. Do spread the word and see video promo below. Look out for workshops in our Design to Win Facebook group starting February 2018, on Career and Life Management.
Sign up for our first course Design to Win Fundamentals before January 24, 2018 and get a 50% discount. Visit www.designtowinacademy.com for more information.
Comment, Like and Share
If you like this article and find it beneficial, feel free to share it with your family and friends. Let’s help each other to progress in 2018!
Cheers to your progress!
C. Ruth Taylor