A clear vision, backed by definite plans, gives you a tremendous feeling of confidence and personal power – Brian Tracy
More Required Than Publishing
You can’t just publish your book on Amazon and expect that it’s gonna automatically sell itself. K.F.C does not prepare chicken and just have it in the kitchen or the restaurant. They advertise and even though millions of people know they exist, they are still advertising. Learning how to profit from a book is where many Indie authors stumble. After publishing and launching your book, you need a solid action plan to generate income and create lasting impact from your book.
In fact, this is not something to be discussed at the backend. It should be discussed at the beginning and, if not, certainly before the completion of the publishing process. Nevertheless, even if you have published already, you can still create a plan to profit from your book.
An Authorpreneur is an author who uses their book(s) to build a business or platform to create an impact. They create products and services based on their book(s). This can be a natural transition because one usually writes a book with the expectation that people will buy it. However, to build a business, you need more than your friends and family to buy the book. The authorpreneur is focussing on publishing, promoting and profiting. You will need a marketing plan, promotion, distribution channels and sales.
In this article, I will share 7 ways to do so. Additional ways can be found in chapter four of my new book Authorpreneur Secrets. In my case, I have created a Design to Win Academy and a coaching program, named after my book, Design to Win Road Map. I created a course and several workshops from the content of my books. I built two Facebook communities based on my books. Today, I am earning a living from my book sales and the products and services generated.
The following is a basic list of 7 popular products and services that you can create to generate income and impact from your book.
7 Book Profiting Ideas
- Courses, Workshops/Seminars: Use your books to create online courses or face-to-face courses. The book could become a textbook for a course at a university or simply your online school. It can be your seminar material.
- Merchandise: T-shirts, cups, pens, stationery items, bags, toys, flags, pins and a whole host of other products are all possible. Think of how Disney has capitalized on stories (books) which became movies and how many tie-in products have been created for children.
- Digital Products: Your book is already a digital product but you can create small ebooks and other informational products from your book in digestible formats for people to use. For example, checklists, cheat sheets, worksheets, lead magnets, etc.
- Becoming a Speaker: One of the fastest ways to move your print book is to speak and sell at scheduled events, your own or as a guest speaker at others.
- School/Training programs: For example one of my friends uses her book to do a one day life coaching training program. The book is the text and it’s compulsory. You can create your own school based on the book.
- A Publishing Business: Use your experience to start your own publishing business.
- Podcast, Movie or TV Show: You could start a podcast with your book. Your book could eventually become a movie or a show on television. This can create quite a bit of impact and income. You can create your own YouTube channel based on your book which can then lead to speaking, coaching, attracting more clients, brands and sponsorship deals
Now that you have seen some possibilities, choose one of them and create a plan to generate income and impact from your book, within the first year of publishing your book.
My Authorpreneurship Updates
See below the latest happenings on my authorpreneurship journey.
1. Authorpreneurship Bootcamp #2: I will be having my another writing and profiting training (boot camp) on Saturday, May 25, 2019, at the MCAJ Head Office (9 West Avenue, Kingston 8). There is room for 12 participants. Click here to register, if interested. See flyer below for more details. Participants will get the book Authorpreneur Secrets as part of the package.
2. Design to Win Podcast: Check out the latest episode answering Frequently Asked Questions in publishing and subscribe for weekly updates.”
3. Indie Authorpreneur Facebook Group: I do facebook video teachings in a private Facebook group called “Indie Authorpreneurs” to help aspiring Indie authors to write and publish affordably. I teach them how to use their books as a platform to build their business and ministry or increase their impact and income. Do join the group for exclusive teachings and discount on my publishing services.
4. My YouTube Channel: Subscribe to my C. Ruth Taylor YouTube Channel for weekly proven strategies to win at writing, life, and career.
These are all the updates for now. Feel free to like, comment and share these sites and resources with your friends, family and other networks.
Cheers to your publishing dreams!
2 thoughts on “7 Ways to Create Income and Impact from Your Book”
I am already thinking about facing this challenge. So far I have a few ebooks. But nothing beats a workshop or a podcast. 😁
Indeed, we have to shift focus from just selling the books to using the book as a lead magnet or platform to push a product, service or ministry.